Friday, July 31, 2009

Things were going so well.....

Things were going pretty well this evening. I had my evening out, and I didn't get any phone calls. I knew that my parents were taking Penelope to a movie after the visitation with George. I wanted to get to their house before they did, but I was probably 10 minutes later to arrive then they were. In that 10 minutes, Papaw went to bed and my mom got into with Penelope.
When I showed up, I walked in the door. My mom was sitting in the living room and yelled towards.. where ever to let Penelope know that I had arrived. Her tone was angry but I didn't pick up on the fact there was something wrong until I heard Penelope. Her voice sounded like she'd was crying, and she was in the bathroom with the door shut. She was like "MOM!!!" relieved I was there. I started walking towards her and in the process, I asked my mom what was going on. She, still sitting there watching tv, but obviously all pissed off, said "She didn't want to change the channel when I told her to change it and tossed the remote to me and it hit me in the arm. So I threw it back at her.... and she ran to the bathroom." That's all I really got. I knew what went down. She yelled at her, I could hear the hesitation in her story to me that she knew she did something she shouldn't have - but she wouldn't admit it. I just said "Thanks a lot Mom." She said "That's right, it's always my fault." No.. but she is the freaking adult here. I've told her I don't know how many times, you can't yell at Penelope. She should have turned off the tv, and said something "I understand, you don't want to watch tv right now." and moved on. Not acceptable behavior. But throwing the remote back? GEESH!
And of course, she just saw her dad, so she is emotionally raw. She is trying not to be, but let's be realisitic and not get pissed at her for acting out after seeing her father!
So, I continue towards the bathroom. I find her, with all her things, backpack, journal, gym shoes all... on the floor in the bathroom, face red, sobbing. "I need you Mommy! I want to go home!" Not a problem. My mom didn't even get up from the couch to console her, let her wallow in her misery. What the hell? She is a sick young girl who needs help in regulating her emotions. And then, I got mad at my dad for letting the two alone with eacher.. but then I should kick myself for not getting there sooner. But, do you know how long it's been since I've gone out? Seriously.. before Christmas. And I was done by 9:00.
I asked where Papaw was when it went down. She said he had gone to bed, but she heard him yell at Grandma. I'm glad but I wish Penelope didn't hear it.
I didn't side with Penelope, but said that they were both wrong in what happened. But we are not going to think about it tonight. We are going to go home, take our medicine and read for a while. She was very clingy. She wanted to sleep in my room.. she gave me I don't know how many hugs and kisses, needed her back rubbed.. wanted the door open. I gave her everything she wanted except to sleep in my room or the door to be left open. I got the batteries that I bought for a great price in the mail and they work great. - her door alarm. Tonight, the alarm is on!
It took a bit to get her to calm down, but she did good.
Tomorrow we are suppose to go clean at Papaw's. I'm thinking Grandma is going to be there so I'm going to have to talk to Penelope about that before we get there. I did tell her she needs to apologize to Grandma for hitting her with the remote, regardless if she says it was an accident.
What the heck am I going to do about this lady? Obviously, absolutely no one on one with Penelope. And even being around her in general may be too risky. I talked to my mom earlier in the day and seemed fine and then this. It's too unpredicatable. And unacceptable.

No comments: