Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Isn't this suppose to be about Penelope?

Let me update this blog to talk about where Penelope is with her healing. It's been 15 months since she was diagnosed. It's been 8 months since we started Attachment Therapy.

She is doing well at Camp. She told me today she made two more friends. I know that her one friend, Becky, was there today and she was happy. She doesn't like to swimming unless Becky is there. I'm not sure why except I know she is having some self-image issues. What young girl doesn't? But she had packed on a few pounds this past year. She is growing though and I know that will help her feel better.

It took a few weeks to get her on board with summer tutoring but she is ready pretty much every day and is reading a book that is a 5.9 reading level - which translates to the end of 5th grade level. At the beginning (and end) of the school year, she was reading at a reading level that was around mid 4th grade. A swear a lot of her issues are effort and perceived helplessness. Her teacher wanted me to think she read at a 2nd to 3rd grade reading level. NO. But she carries her book with her everywhere she goes and reads when she has time. I think that's great!

Today was garbage day so last night I had asked her to take a garbage bag to the can. After she went outside, I thought "Shoot. I wish I told her to take it to the curb.. Now she is going to get all huffy when she comes in and I send her back out." I had mentioned that it was garbage day. When she came back in she said "I went ahead and dragged the can to the curb." Holy crap, she did! She used to refuse to touch the garbage cans!

I think overall her attitude and mood is much better. She is more of a tween now. She doesn't babytalk or anything like that. She does like to play with little kids toys but overall, she is acting more mature and calm. It's all good. She is excited that school is starting in 3 weeks. I hope it goes well for her. I know she has friends, but there are still the bullies that she will have to cope with. I'm curious who her teachers are going to be. Hopefully they are more open-minded than the ones last year. I'm excited for her. A 6th grader!

No comments: