Monday, August 3, 2009

Harriet...

So Harriet text messaged me on Friday. I haven't heard from her in about 1 1/2 months. I thought it odd that she was text messaging me on the day of Penelope's visit with George. But I wanted to document our conversation. Her need to find excuses for herself just astonish me.

Harriet - How's Penelope doing?
Me - She is doing well. Probably the best she's ever been. I'm counting the # of days it stays this time b4 she regresses.
Harriet - I'm glad to hear that. I hope everything continues to go well. I hope she liked her birthday card and present.
Me - Did you get my email about that? I sent it to you and your mom.
Harriet - No. I haven't been able to get to the library. Ryan just got out of the hospital. I don't know if mom got hers. Dave just had a stroke.
Me - Wow sorry to hear that. I know she got it b/c she replied. Sorry to hear it. Thought you had phone access.
Harriet - I hope I can get things arranged with a therapist soon. I miss her so much. She's all I think about lately.
Me - What happened to the one you had?
Harriet - I have some difficulties, a fear actually of going downtown. It's one issue I have to work on.
Me - Maybe they can refer you to someone closer home.
Harriet - I'm going to get into the catholic social services in dehil. My phone won't access the internet.
Me - Okay. I hope that works better for you.

First, I did find out that her texting me coincides with her getting her monthly government assistance, so that could be why she is texting me now. But to me, it's really apparent how uncapable of coping with the littlest things she has become. I think it's a combination of that and her need to feel helpless. I know what it's like to look at a rather minor task and it be just too difficult to confront because of being depressed and overwelmed. But, this to me is rather extreme. I saw her walking on the sidewalk downtown with her husband, leaving the government building you go to regarding governement support. And that building isn't in a nice area. It's right across from the Courthouse. But she can't make it to an office building for therapy? But then, the therapist I was talking about was the last one I had heard about that was located about 10 minutes from her house near a suburban mall. She has brought up Catholic Social Services in the past, two therapists ago. I'm not saying she doesn't have a fear of downtown, but I do think she is avoiding it all big time. If she can't cope with going to the library to check her emails, or making a phone call to schedule a therapy appointment, or going when it's time, how is she going to be around Penelope? So not ready. Penelope is in no hurry to see her birth mom herself.
I wouldn't be surprised that her husband was in the hospital again. He ended up there a few months back for nearly dying from a staph infection. During his treatment they found that he had untreated diabetes. The diabetes was really bad. He has been very sick. The thing is - well, I can't relate to what she is going through with this. You would think "How horrible for you and your husband!" But see, Harriet only see's his illness as a huge burden for her and resents him for putting this on her. Before George stopped taking her phone calls, she would call him and complain about all that she had to do for him and wanted to move into George's house. She almost went on one of her disappearences that she had done to her husband, his mother, and Penelope so many times in the past. But from a more public standpoint, she thrives on the sympathy his illness gets her. I wouldn't know if he actually was in the hospital or not. The one time I talked to his mother (since they live in her house), he had to go to the hospital daily for an IV treatment. But I can see her also say he was in the hospital when he actually wasn't. She has said and done worse.
I don't know if her step-father had a stroke or not but I know that Harriet knows better than to think her mother still wouldn't have access to her emails. She runs her own business. So I feel confident to say that she was sympathy-seeking there.

No comments: