Saturday, October 16, 2010

Unemployment

Welp, my employment was terminated at the cemetery today. Not much of a "coffin" salesperson as Penelope calls me. Not my calling as my Manager tells me. Couldn't agree more. So now I get to collect unemployment. So another 1st in my life I can check off my bucket list. haha. But seriously, everyone was super great about it. My Manager and the two Asst. Managers all offered me letters of reference.
Fortunetly, I was able to get in my doctor's appointment for a full physical, and related prescriptions before I was let go. Going to start taking better care of myself. During this stint of unemployment, I've told myself I'm going to start exercising and using my time more wisely. I am not as depressed as I was a year ago so it should be easier.
So now there is nothing getting in my way of starting my own consulting company. I am suppose to have lunch with this woman who is going to help me get up and running. I will call her tomorrow to tell her of my new status. Penelope doesn't know yet but I will tell her. She was having a hard time today. I think it's related to us moving but not knowing when and all that. She's been having some real fits of rage lately - two this week. Not bad but she is usually pretty good about keeping her rage in check. Just got to get moved and start this new chapter of our lives.
Pretty short post this time. Not too much to say tonight. Maybe later. I just took my wonderful anti-depressants and I need to get to bed before the side effects kick in. Should be stronger since I asked for an increase.

5 comments:

C Dawn's bucket said...

I'm sorry this is an additional stress for you. When lousy stuff keeps happening to me I try to look to see if it is somehow a blessing in disguise. Sometimes it is...and others it is just a continued lesson in endurance.

You are in my prayers

marythemom said...

Sounds like this is a blessing in disguise. What kind of consulting are you thinking about doing? I run a consultancy (well, technically I own it and I go in and pretend I'm doing stuff there), so if you need any advice from someone who can't "do" but can teach, just let me know!

Mary in TX
mbrush at austin dot rr dot com

RADMomINohio said...

I'm considering it a blessing. I am so much happier not working that job. Of course I'm concerned about money but I wasn't making any there either so now I will get unemployment and that will be very helpful while I try to figure out what I'm going to do.
Mary - I have always wanted to go out on my own and do consulting in risk management for small businesses. Risk management in the realm of corporate insurances like workers' comp, benefits, liability and EPLI. I don't sell insurance but help employers manage their risk in order to keep the cost of doing business down while getting the most for their dollar. The issue is small companies don't NEED someone like that and it's hard to sell something like that without immediate return in the investment. There is a woman I met through my old job that, without my prompting, offered to help me do accounting work for small businesses on a contractual basis with them. I have accounting/payroll experience as well. I looked at the software she uses and it looks very user friendly. I can totally do that. And I can grow my value by offering other business services. Risk Management is typically under finance in an organization anyway and I have a varied experience that could benefit them. That's the plan at least.
My problem is how to get clients. I don't know anyone. She does, and knows CPAs and was a CFO for a company herself.. before she retired. She does this on the side and said she can make $200 in a few hours. I netted a little more than that a week in my old job. So it won't take much to pass that income threshold.

Anonymous said...

Try offering your accounting services to non-profits in your area. Contractual jobs...go in for a few hours a week to keep the books balanced. Non-profits could use dependable people to help with that stuff. They can't afford to hire someone full-time, usually. Just a suggestion. Enjoy having more time for you and your girl!

RADMomINohio said...

Thanks! I will look into that.