Monday, October 11, 2010

School and Moving

Really these are two separate issues I wanted to write about, but there has been some overlay. I had received a call from the Asst. Principal last Tuesday after forwarding an email from my bank about the house the prior Friday. He said that it's wasn't proof of residency. I offered to have him come over and visit if it would help, either that evening or the next. We would be home. He didn't like that idea and skipped over it. He said that he would need a copy of my electric and gas bill. No problem. He also said that he needed a copy of the purchase contract and a letter from my mother notarized that Penelope and I would be living with her at that residence that "needs to be in the School District." Of course, this whole process would have been a ton easier if I could live anywhere. Got those items to him over the next couple of days.
Then Friday I get a call from the school's Guidance Counselor. She was really having a hard time getting out what she wanted, tripping over her words talking about a report that they have to put together annually that is about kids in the district who have guardians and she went on about how many there are in the district and that we are not the only ones that they have to call....okay? She needed a copy of my guardianship order. In Penelope's file when I enrolled her in 2nd grade, I had given them a copy of a temporary order it seems (with Harriet disappearing during the process of me gaining guardianship it slowed things down) and I hadn't yet sent them the final guardianship paperwork. I told her "No problem. I carry it around with me in case I need it for an emergency or something." Really it's in case one of parents tries something. I don't know what but something. I just thought it to be too coincidental that they needed a copy of my guardianship paperwork the day after we sent them other proof that Penelope can go to school there. It would have made more sense if they said that because of having her file out and the spotlight on it, they noticed all her paperwork wasn't in order. Now that would make more sense. Especially since this "report" is an annual one and they've had a file on Penelope for 5 years with no question. Anyway, I don't blame her. She sounded like she was lying and I'm sure it was asked of her, not her own doing.
Anyway, Penelope has been having her ups and downs at school. It IS getting better I think. My dad needs to hold her more accountable for schoolwork. It's hard when she says that her homework is a little different than what she writes in in homework agenda. But a week ago Thursday she was tardy to school and was given a detention slip for Tuesday. She claims she never received a detention slip but I'm getting ahead of myself. Tuesday was the day she was invited by a boy to go to his house to do homework together. I had told her "No" for many good reasons. I don't allow last minute plans is one as well as he can come to OUR house and because of her therapy schedule.. Friday would be the earliest. Well, Wednesday afternoon Penelope called her Papaw crying wanting him to come pick her up. 1st, she was hit by a dodge ball in gym class, then the Asst. Principal called her to his office and yelled at her for skipping detention and then gave her a Friday Study. She claimed she never got the detention and she can't have detention on Friday because she already has plans! He told her that he couldn't come get her right then and that she has only a couple more hours until the end of the day and to calm herself down and try to get through it. I found out later that she had called from the office between bells and no one knew that she had made that call. She had already tried to go to the nurse. She also vented to her teacher about the conversation with the Asst. Principal. She told her teacher "It's him or me" and "he doesn't have that kind of power over me." She had plans for Friday and CAN NOT attend the Friday Study. Well, we talked about this briefly in therapy on Wednesday. She was VERY passive aggressive in therapy. It was interesting to watch. It was more interesting to have the therapist see it instead of the sweet charming Penelope that she tries to pull of usually. She even at one point rolled her eyes at the therapist who prescribed eye rolling than humming happy birthday then eye rolling again than humming happy birthday again. Penelope didn't know what to think.
Anyway, when Friday came around, Penelope was very clingy and I gave her lots of loving looks and hugs and told her I have seen her get through worse days and to make the best of it. "Once today is over, it's all done because you've been on time and you have no detentions. Just get through today and get it behind you." When I dropped her off at school I said, "Be strong today." She said "Okay." I said "Show me your muscles!" She smiled and flexed her arm muscles. I said, "Show me your brain muscles!" She still had the smile on her face and she squinted her eyes and "flexed" her face and brain muscles. It was so cute and funny, I had to laugh. I said "I knew you could do it!" It was a good send off.
Now, Thursday was not such a good day for me. I received a call from my mother early in the morning and she told me that the loan company came back on the condo and said they don't buy that it's not investment property and instead of wanting 10%, they want 25% down! My parents can't do that. She told me my Dad cried. That made me start to cry. I know he wants to do this for me. He knows how badly I want to have this condo for Penelope and I. Not rent. Renting is temporary. Penelope needs permanency. So do I. I've been in limbo forever it seems, protecting Penelope from it by keeping the secret. We just told Penelope we were moving based on the idea that we were past this stage of the loan process, that the only thing that could prevent the loan was an act of God. I just need a break. It was very disheartening. My mom said that she is talking to her other mortgage broker contact who has in-house underwriters and they are going to see what they can do. Her contact said "We are going to make this work!" She had known about it since Wednesday night and she said she should know that day. That day came and went. So did Friday. So did the weekend. We are running out of time..

1 comment:

marythemom said...

"Flex your brain muscles" - I love that!

As to the home thing, it seems like in this economy they'd be happy to take your money. Yes, they'd prefer more, but I bet they'll settle. Keep hanging in there.

Hugs and prayers!!

Mary in TX