Thursday, April 22, 2010

Probation Officer

Tuesday morning I received a call from a woman from the Probate Division. The day prior, after our request for a Competincy Evaluation and Hearing was set, Penelope and I had to meet with a woman in an office off the waiting room we were sitting in for court. When I was finished giving her all the information she requested, which was alot, the woman said that someone would be calling in the next 5 days to set up the evaluation date and time. Well, that was this woman who was calling me this morning.
But she wanted to set up a time to interview Penelope and I. She didn't want to interfere with Penelope's school schedule or after school commitments so that day was the only day we could make the appointment this week. She wanted to do a "home visit" she called it. Same term CPS used. Okay.. My house needed to be picked up but I'd have to figure out how to do that, in addition to taking off work to be there right after school and Penelope gets home. Tuesdays I typically work until 8:00. I called my dad and he said he'd help with straightening the house. God love him. I had my "lunch hour" at 2:45 so I could get Penelope from school and be ready for this woman.
When she arrived, I learned that she is Penelope's Probation Officer. Probation Officer? The public defender, nor the woman we registered with told us that Penelope was going to have an assigned Probation Officer. What does that mean? She showed us her bandge and credentials. I didn't even ask - still kind of stunned. Penelope told her she thought her badge looked cool. Yeah, Penelope - this is cool. I think not.
It ended up being a two hour interview. She was very nice. I knew her role had something to do with setting up the evaluation but I didn't understand the purpose with getting such a detailed background of Penelope when she was just setting up an evaluation. There was a long term feel to this relationship. I asked her what her purpose was in this case. I do not understand what her role is. She said that it depends on if Penelope is found competent or not. If she isn't competent to proceed or stand trail, then wether the judge felt she could become competent. I was lost at this point. She said that Penelope would attend classes to learn what she needed to know in order to become competent. I gather from what she said, that this really applies to people who have limited inteligence. I don't believe that Penelope's issue with competincy has anything to do with her ability to learn things, but that she is somewhat of a flake right now. Her emotional defenses are on overdrive. Last week she was so scared, she could barely make it through school. Now, she is in fantasy world, having extreme difficulty communicating effectively and just .. almost manic. In her own world. But she makes it through school fine now. I don't know how well her testing is going but no threats of harm against herself or others which is good.
The probation officer said that if Penelope is found competent, then her role will continue with Penelope and she will be a part of any sentencing Penelope will have. She believes Penelope will be required to go to sex offender classes/treatment. I told her we have her in Truama therapy. She said this was specifically for sex offenders. She recommended that I look into that.
It took a bit to get Penelope to sit down at the table for the interview. The Probation Officer asked Penelope to tell her about herself. Penelope went on and on and on about her favorite colors, foods, things she likes, and to tell off the wall stories, and her choice in words and mannerisms were of a 4 year old. It was actually very hard to watch. I don't know if the Probation Officer picked up on how off Penelope was. She has never met Penelope before. To someone who doesn't know better, she may seem like a child who is immature but extremely happy and full of energy, ready to burst with her happiness. Very charming and entertaining. When I pointed out how regressed Penelope is right now, and how she loves to meet new people. The Probation Officer took it as an apology and said "It's better than I usually get. Usually the child doesn't want to talk to me at all." Probably because the child knows you are asking them these questions because of their crime? Penelope is in LaLa Land.

No comments: