Wednesday, April 21, 2010

1st time at Court

I didn't even bother sending Penelope to school on Monday. I was considering it thinking she may have forgot that it was this Monday, the 19th. But, she knew. Sunday afternoon she randomly asked "What's today's date?" I avoidingly said "I'm not sure." She said, "Is it the 18th?" I said, "I think that's right." She just said "Oh, okay" and went back to doing what she was doing. She knew.
Then that night she started to freak out about and came out and said it. "Tomorrow is the court date. I'm scared!" And we talked about it, trying to put it in perspective for her so she could deal okay. Reassured her that Papaw was coming and riding down with us.
We got there about 45 minutes early. There was maybe two other families in the large waiting area. Our public defender saw us sitting there. She said she'd try to see if the magistrate would want to do it early. She was gone for quite a while. Penelope was getting anxious. I allowed her to have her Nintendo DS. But I set the expectation with her that when the attorney comes out, the DS goes off - no finishing up that level or whatever. It gets closed and turned off. She said she would want to play it in the court. I said "Absolutely not. The judge would not allow that and it would make you look bad." She said, "Well then I will draw. It's good to draw." Of course it's good to draw, it's promoted as a way for her to express and get out her feelings. But not in this venue! I said "Not here. You have to sit and pay attention." She actually says "How boring!" Did she really? Really... I said "You have to sit there at attention like you should in class. You are here to LEARN." Then I nudged my dad. "Did you hear her?" I told him what she said. He scoffed and told her "I'd erase that attitude before you get in front of the judge. The is a learning opportunity for you. You better pay attention." A little while later, the public defender came out and said that the request for a Competincy Evaluation was granted and we need to be there next Monday, the 26th for a Competincy Hearing. So we didn't need to go in front of the judge this time. She opened an empty Hearing room so Penelope could see what it looked like. Honestly, Penelope didn't care. It's amazing how she flips from freaking out to aloof about the whole thing.
Papaw wanted to talk to the public defender alone, to discuss the case in more detail regarding the actual charges. His cop side was kicking in and he wanted to debate the validity of the actual charges and figure out what the plan of defense is. I sat with Penelope and we talked about.. whatever to keep her mind distracted and focused on something other than waiting. We had to wait to register with the Probate Division. I'm not sure why or what exactly their role is other than that they will be scheduling the Evaluation with the person who does that.
So, we finally got called in to register. It took forever. The person wanted a ton of data on Penelope, her parents, her meds, everything. Then we were able to leave.
After we got home and Papaw left, Penelope and I just vegitated. I was planning on cleaning on the house but I was so physcially and emotionally tired. I was sick to my stomach all the night before and that morning. I almost threw up a couple of times from acid reflux or whatever. It was hateful. I knew it was stress but what can you do? Penelope slept better than I did but I heard her tossing and turning. I told her we would relax for a couple hours and then do some light cleaning. I figured after her tutor session. I noticed when we were leaving she had trashed the living room with a bunch of toys - which is a no no. She is to stay in the play room. But I wasn't there the entire time, I was in an adjacent room reading. No big deal. When I picked her up from tutor, I reminded her that we were going to do chores and that I needed her to make the living room the way it was. She reluctantly agreed. But when we got home, she announced she didn't want to clean, not even straighten up the living room. I said "Really Penelope? You just told me you were going to."
I told her I was going to call Papaw and cancel him coming over. It wasn't a good time. See, Monday was his birthday. Not that he's all about growing a year older, but it's still his birthday and who doesn't like to feel special? Well, with the court date, we decided to push any celebration off to the weekend. However, he was planning on coming back with his lawnmower to cut my yard. I offered to make him dinner. I was going to make something relatively nice. Meatloaf. He likes meatloaf. But with Penelope the way she is behaving, not the best idea. I told her it would not make Papaw happy on his birthday to see how she wrecked the living room. Since she won't straighten it up, it's best to postpone having him for dinner. She started to cry and say "I didn't get him anything for his birthday!" I told her he doesn't want gifts, just appreciation and our company. Not picking up for him doesn't show appreciation. She still didn't pick up and my dad was fine with not coming over.
I decided with all the stress and lack of sleep we both were dealing with, bedtime was going to be early. Penelope liked that idea agreeing that the sooner that day was over, the better.

No comments: