Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Not looking forward to school being out

Not that I want to deal with the school or Penelope's struggles with homework, but I am not looking forward to the having to deal with her parents. George has already started to claim stake. I'm sure Harriet is going to do the same thing very soon. I returned her phone call this past Monday. She was doing her once in a while "How's Penelope?" phone calls. I hate talking to her. But I've already mentioned that. I didn't go into details like I typically do. Anything for her to turn into a self-pity event I am not going to help with. I kept it general and just said she is overall doing better, but still has her setbacks. Focused on how school is over soon and not sure how the summer is going to go but we will see.
She brings up the fact that Penelope's birthday is next month. I said "Yeah, I can't believe it's June already." She agrees. I, to an extent, twist it back on her and ask about her therapy session. I said that George had told me a while ago that she had scheduled her first therapy session on the 20th and asked how it went. She said that the therapist rescheduled it to this Wednesday (today). I heard that she had rescheduled it but who knows at who's prompting. Doesn't really matter. I told her that was good and to let her know that Penelope's therapists can talk to her so I got her name and I can sign a release to allow that to happen. She was fine with that. But I knew what she was hinting at.. I know she wants to see Penelope and it will be almost a year by the time Penelope's birthday roles around. I think she saw Penelope once or twice after her birthday.. but that was it.
So who knows how this summer is going to go. I think Penelope is going to have some really big set backs in order to appease her parents - and I don't think that's right. I'm frustrated with the therapists for feeling like there is no point in standing any ground "As the father he has rights." I don't feel like it's their job to worry about his rights, only what Penelope needs to heal. And I don't understand why the law doesn't protect these children better. Too expensive maybe? Set the standards low to keep the costs down? How much does society pay when these kids end up in jail as adults, or pregnant as kids? Drug users, runaways, potential murders?

No comments: