Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Penelope's Next Big Adventure

School is about out, 1 1/2 more weeks left. Penelope told me that yesterday was the last day of After School Program, the tutoring program that the school referred her to. It did seem odd to have it end on a Tuesday after being off on the Monday for Memorial Day but I never followed up with the program people to verify. But she had told me this information a couple of weeks ago, and then reminded me yesterday morning when I told her I'd be picking her up from school. So my plan was to pick her up at 5:00 instead of after school. But when I got home around 2:30, I checked the mail and there was a letter saying that the ASP "ends" on May 21st. That was last Thursday! This would make more sense since it's the end of a full week of ASP (closed on Fridays) instead of having it one more day in the middle of the following week. So I hurried up to the school in order to intercept her from walking to the church. But she was no where to be found. I went to the church, not there, I spoke to a church employee and she said that it was over. I called her friend's house, drove around to see if she was walking - a lot of kids walk home in our small community. Maybe she was with someone else? I drove home to see if she walked home knowing I was going to be there today. I can see her do that too.
I was worried but my hopes were that she will be in front of the church at 5:00. I'm figuring she was trying to use this as an opportunity to not have to come home and go somewhere that I wouldn't let her - especially since she hasn't been allowed to go over anyone's house without me since her threat to hurt me, and DEFINITELY after her attempt at revenge to the boy across the street this past weekend. But then, maybe she decided she is going to run away.. or try to walk to her dad's.. or something like that. I can see her try to do those things to. Can you lo jack a kid?
Anyway, she was at the church at 5:05. She claims she was inside the entire time and that she was the only one who showed up and she had a computer generated certificate for being "A star today!" That is was just her and the program director. They did homework and played games. She was already gone by the time I pulled around to the office - probably left when she sent Penelope out. So I left a message on her bosses voicemail to verify if this was true. I just need to know if that was where Penelope was at. She did seem sincere when I questioned her, seemed honestly surprised I thought otherwise, so who knows. Her cons usually are not this planned and flawless. We will see when I get a return call.

No comments: