Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New

First two weeks down with my new job. It's been an adjustment for both Penelope and myself. I worked almost 50 hours each week and my parents have had to do a lot of the afternoon and evening things with Penelope. Besides just getting used to not having me around as much, Penelope is having to get use to having her grandparents around a lot more. But my parents are having to get use to driving to my house to take care of her, her routine, her manipulation tactics to get out of some of her routine (chores), as well as not doing whatever they would typically do in the evenings. I have to get use to actually going somewhere and not doing something Penelope related for over 40 hours a week. Having to fix my hair, put on makeup, even wear professional attire instead of sweats and gym shoes. I've figured out that Penelope's routine needs to change somewhat because when I get home, she misses me so much that all unfinished homework or chores are impossible for her to focus on. My parents know that she needs to do those things during their watch at this point or the evenings or they are just not going to get done. I can't battle with her the 1 to 3 hours a night I see her over things like homework and chores. I tell Penelope "Get your work done so we can spend quality time together when I get home." She still is adjusting and gets filled with anxiety about it, the pressure of having that done before I get home. It hasn't happened yet - she is done by the time I get home. Today when I got home, around 7:45pm, she missed me so much she cried. That's hard.
On a more positive note, I met with the person who my dad met for me last week. We are going to do some in home therapy 2 or 3 times a week, and once a week trauma therapy. They have some options for her in the summer too which has been a concern. But in general they can help us! She even said that they will go to court with us! Speaking of which, I called the public defenders office and they said the routine is that when the court date is set, to bring her in to their office and we will go from there.so just waiting for that to happen. I wonder if I will be allowed to take the time off.

No comments: