Tuesday, May 18, 2010

EMDR

I've looked into EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Therapy. I don't really understand how it is effective but everything I've read including other mom's blogs who have tired EMDR with their child who has RAD, PTSD and other things, say how effective it is. Penelope has been having neurofeedback therapy for over 1 1/2 years and I consider this to be in the same catagory of alternative therapies and that has been working wonders for her.

So I went ahead and researched the local therapists who offer EMDR and are properly licensed and all that. There isn't that many that I could find and of all of them, only one was covered by Penelope's health insurance. So I put in a call and left a message detailing her diagnosis and our interest in EMDR. Yesterday I got a call from the therapist explaining that there is only one person who works with attachment issues and EMDR in the area. It's in KY. Great. It just seems like the big city of Cincinnati has nothing to offer kids with RAD. So she referred me to her. I called her and left a message. I didn't come across her name in my research and I was out on appointments so I hadn't had the chance of checking on the insurance coverage. She called me back before I got back in the office.

We had a good conversation about EMDR and the complication of RAD to therapy in general. Definitly got the impression I was talking to someone who understood and knows RAD. The downside is that she doesn't take insurance. But she would be covered by most out of network coverages. I asked about Medicaid, since we are still in that line. She said she doesn't know how that would apply. But her fee is $90 a session. That's reasonable in the grand scheme of things but that's $360/mo! I started to get kinda emotional, voice shaking. I hate HATE when my personal weaknesses interfere with the ability for Penelope to get the help that she needs. That the possibility there is help out there that could lessen her suffering but she can't have access to it because of me. I told her I'd have to call her back so I can see if we can find the money to do it. If we can't... we can't. I told her the I'm trying to come out of a financial slump and she understood our situation. She used to offer sliding scale fees but she is already over her cap on those type of accounts.

I called the insurance company. There is a 70% co-insurance once the deductible is met. There is $750 left on the annual deductible. I researched Medicaid. Did you know it's an HMO? I didn't know that. So, no out of network benefit. But, no premiums or co-pays or anything like that. So I called my Dad who.. God love him, said "Do it. She needs it. We will figure it out."

So I have the initial appointment set for the first week of June for her and I to go over all of Penelope's history and treatments. Then we will set Penelope up for weekly EMDR therapy. She will be out of school by then. I feel encouraged. I'm just so glad we can do it.

1 comment:

marythemom said...

We only went once a week, and it did't work very well with my kids. My son (RAD, C-PTSD) refused to participate at all. So we stopped after a couple of sessions.

My daughter (RAD, C-PTSD), participated, but it apparently brought up more stuff than she could handle so we stopped. We're going to try again this Summer, but this time see both her attachment therapist and the EMDR therapist at the same time.

We are lucky because our EMDR therapist takes Medicaid.

Mary in TX